Re: [LAD] Wavetable synthesis : Creating fat wavetables

From: <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2012 - 23:35:29 EEST

My intention is indeed to do "waldorf style" cascaded wavetables which are
interpolated between. I have a program that I can use to test the
wavetables, but the issue of tuning remains a problem for me.

Example:
I record a C3 note, 10 seconds of it. Then I want to create a wavetable.
Search for a zero crossing after 1 second, chop. Looped playback = C3.
Now I want to have a C#3, so 1/12 of the double of the frequency, playing
back at that rate will NOT always provide a C#3.

Why? The sample is the wrong length. The "fundamental" of the note is not
perfectly looped, not even all the harmonics are. Hence you "feel" a wrong
pitch. Its a bit of a wierd problem.

I've read this page, and figured I should probably check my algorithm that
does the rate and frequency calculations.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Sound_Synthesis_Theory/Oscillators_and_Wavetables

Has anybody got some experience in this domain? I'm new to creating my own
wavetables, so experiences / noob-advice welcome :)
-Harry