Re: [LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24) - Once again free samples, this time more uplifting

From: Nils <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 02 2012 - 01:40:49 EEST

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 00:13:37 +0200
Florian Schirmer <florian.schirmer@email-addr-hidden-instruments.de> wrote:

> Besides the technical problem there is also a legal problem involved here. To protect the IP of sample developers the instruments sold by 3rd party developers are encrypted.
>
> My guess would be that using something like Autosampler to capture a certain snapshot of a library and convert that into something that your favorite can read is by far the most promising solution. But of course this depends on what you're looking for.
>
> Best,
> Florian

What I am really looking for is an open format, of course I don't expect this from you/your company :)

Since I do not own windows, kontakt or any kontakt instruments (which wouldn't make sense without the OS in the beginning) my contact with Kontakt is only through freebies. Since most of them are easy-to-record, one-shot (count=1 in sfz syntax) percussion samples it is no problem to create a sfz by hand (or scripts) for the plain wave files, once you have the license. This format is good enough for these type of home-made samples.

What I hope to learn, partly through finding out how the kontakt format works, is what the format can do and how people create/record instruments for it or in other words: What is a good recording basis for good instruments, since the programming and scripting part is much more forgivable to errors.

This would be the complementary approach to my own: I am not a programmer but composer and music theorist (Student Tonsatz, Musikhochschule Köln) so I don't think that much in algorhithms and scripts but more from the music and instruments point of view and how to elementarize and abstract the playing styles and only as second step how to script that.

When it comes to Kontakt itself a practical approach would be ok as well. If there is a native kontakt version I can live with the closed eco system as well.

I have one important technical question for you: Is the Kontakt instrument format purely interpreted or is there some binary executable in it? That is: Given that there is an (official) host implementation native to Linux would all the instrument run at once or would the sample authors be required to adjust their instruments and re-release?

If it is 100% interpreted and OS-independent then the market simply increases with Linux, without additional effort for the 3rd party instrument developers.

Nils
http://www.nilsgey.de

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-dev mailing list
Linux-audio-dev@email-addr-hidden
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-dev
Received on Sun Sep 2 04:15:02 2012

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Sun Sep 02 2012 - 04:15:02 EEST