Re: [LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

From: Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 02 2012 - 03:06:44 EEST

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> conclusion:
> 1. don't use the kontakt sampler (or other proprietary sw)
> 2. don't buy kontakt samples
> 3. support free, libre sample libraries
> 4. create free, libre sample libraries
>
> this appears as the most effective stategie and long time solution

Although I admire your determination for and devotion to FLOSS, I'm not
currently satisfied with the tools and especially instruments (real
instrument "recreations" or electronic).
I do not mean to offend the wonderful efforts done by the community
already: and I would like to point out that there are significant projects
that I use to make music.

But in the end of the day: I have to put more effort into getting the sound
I want using linux tools than Mac or Win. Although its very honourable to
only support FLOSS, I also want to make music that sounds *great* not just
*good*. If paying for instruments like Modartt's
Pianoteq<http://www.pianoteq.com/>,
then I'll do that. It sounds *wonderful*, not like a 90's MIDI Dance piano.

With that said, I'll get back to reading the rest of this thread :)
-Harry