[LAD] a little help with mutichannel alsa

From: <grekimj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 07 2012 - 23:03:48 EEST

First, what I would like to do is pick which channel I send audio to
on the RME 9632 card.
 My RME card is device 0.
 When I call this function:
snd_pcm_open(&handle,device,SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK,0)
 And set device = plughw:0,0 I get playback across all the RME
outputs.
 (Just using hw:0,0 without the "plug" prefix does not work for some
reason which may or may not matter.)
 So, how do I access the subdevices/channels?
 When I run aplay -l I only see 1/1 subdevices.
 Shouldn't I be able to set my device to hw:0,0,1 or plughw:0,0,1 to
access channel 2, for example?
 There's no .asoundrc. Do I need it for this?
 Finally, when attempting multichannel alsa, I assume I need to
simply make an array of pointers to the same datatype as "handle" and
run through
 initializing each handle separately.
 In the first time thought the loop, I can get handle[0] and all its
parameters to initialize without errors.
 When I try to initialize handle[1] on a new device such as
plughw:0,0,1 I get an error that the device or resource is busy.
 I feel like I've hit a brick wall here. Perhaps I am out of my
league. But, it feels tantilizingly close to working.
 Thanks guys/gals!!
 Grekim