Re: [LAD] [LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 23:09:26 EEST

On Thu, October 11, 2012 6:52 am, Louigi Verona wrote:
> @Folderol:
>
> "While it is nice to have lots of different apps, plugins, whatever, I
> think you
> find most musicians quickly settle on a very small range which they get to
> know
> extremely well."
>
> This is true. However, before you settle, you do need to have a choice.
> And
> there is
> very little right now.
>
> @Dan:
>
> "He made a number of valid points but I have to agree it was a bit overly
> negative. Linux audio has come a long way in the last few years- if still
> trailing some way behind commercial offerings in some areas but its
> unrealistic to expect otherwise when the big boys have large teams working
> full time on development plus some of the apps (Cubase etc.) effectively
> pre-date Linux back to the 80's."
>
> You point out the reason why things are as they are. I did not speak about
> the reasons, I tried to capture how I see the state of things, independent
> of the reasons. Noting that Linux has come a long way and that we cannot
> expect hobbyists to do as well as professionals has nothing to do with a
> completely independent statement that Linux has few plugins compared not
> even to Windows but to some musicians' needs. ;)
>

> I think sometimes it is useful to take such perhaps a slightly negative
> look. As long as it is not desperate, this kind of reflection can be
> useful
> to always be realistic about one's achievements or about state of things.
>
> Also, I have a hidden hope that someone disproves my view and shows that
> in
> reality everything is not so bad ;)

The problem with that approach is that it tends to feed the negative
attitude towards Linux and that is exactly what the "competition" want. So
by "trashing" the platform to gather informed responses it can do more
harm than good from a marketing and promotional angle. However that method
works very well for Fox and The Register so it's definitely a valid
approach.

After years of trash talk or being ignored what we really need is a
dedicated effort to "bigging up" all the things that can be done.

Which reminds me, if anyone has any tutorials they want to share on the
quicktoots website please send them my way. We get about 500 views a month
on that site at the moment and as it has been online for almost 10 years
that means almost 50,000 people have viewed tutorials on that site. The
toots don't have to be recent or cutting edge. Just useful and informative
:-)

BTW, for the professional companies out there that is 50,000 very
attractive sales prospects that you could have been marketing to for the
past 10 years. So if you are a company and want to increase your sales
potential it makes sense to be providing professional tutorials for
inclusion on the quicktoots site on a regular basis.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd