Re: [LAD] [LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 15:30:50 EEST

On Thursday 11 October 2012 07:42:22 John Rigg wrote:

First, thanks Adrian for the RayDay mention, and thanks John for this info.

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:01:23PM -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> > Let's say I want at least 24 ins.
> >
> > What do I get? Where can I find a HOWTO on my options?
>
> Here's a HOWTO on using multiple Delta 1010s (which can also be adapted
> for other cards):
>
> http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html

Not quite the HOWTO I am looking for / need. This is more a hotwo on one
option rather than on the different options available.

I think such a howto might be useful and would be willing to write one if
people would be willing to answer questions coming from an ignorant (in the
field) person's perspective.

> Note that the 1010 is still in production and there are so many of
> them out there that used replacements should be available for quite
> a while if new production ceases.

This would need a motherboard with 3 free PCI slots right?

> Another cheap option is a used RME HDSP9652 (also still being made)
> with 3xADAT I/O. The PCIe alternative is the HDSPe RayDAT mentioned
> elsewhere in this thread.

These options would just need one free PCI or PCIe slot. Not bad, portability
may be an issue. Do I build a rack with a silent rack mount PC, 3 adat
interfaces (8 ins each)

> Going up the price scale there are RME MADI cards, both PCI and PCIe
> versions. I used an RME HDSPe MADI with an SSL Alpha-Link for a couple
> of years with excellent results, and I don't expect either of those to
> go out of production for a while yet.
>
> Future availability of PCI motherboards might be a concern, but there
> are still many new boards being made with PCI slots.
>
> John

all the best,

drew