[LAD] E-MU 0404 USB [was :Re: [LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?]

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 22:26:40 EEST

On Fri, October 12, 2012 12:31 am, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Speaking of hardware drivers, long time ago I wrote this article on
> E-MU 0404 USB:
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_emu0404usb
>
> For a long time it was my mostly read article. Some people theorized
> that it is possible to make the soundcard working, but my tests have
> concluded
> that it is surely impossible without voodoo spells.
>
> Is there any system solution to these kind of things, when the specs are
> available,
> but nobody cares?

In this situation you will make progress by joining the alsa-devel mailing
list and offering to Q/A, debug and report back on results of any code
updates. If you are prepared to put in some effort it will not take too
long to make some real progress.

For driver development on "new" alsa drivers you have to be prepared to be
actively involved. You can't expect the alsa developers to make updates if
no one is giving them any useful feedback. Otherwise you could offer to
send the device to someone on the list and have them work on it. But that
takes out all the fun of the Q/A process and you'll probably get better
results if you have two people debugging and testing than one.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd