Re: [LAD] ANN: convoLV2 0.2

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 21 2012 - 22:24:56 EEST

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 01:38:48PM -0400, David Robillard wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-10-21 at 11:38 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> [...]
> > Zita-convolver works on Linux and OSX
>
> ... where it locks a mutex in the process thread.

Yes, the mutex being part of a condition variable,
used to emulate sem_t since OSX has an incomplete
implementation of those. If you'd care to analyse
*how* it is used, you'll find it's quite harmless.
In the worst case, which is extremely unlikely to
happen ever, the result will be two extra thread
(not process) switches. Which will take a few
microseconds at most, much less than other events
which do interrupt audio processing all the time.

The same happens in all my apps if they use the
ITC mechanism of clthreads. And also in some apps
I wrote and that have been used for the last ten
years or so in mission-critical roles by ESA, NASA,
JAXA and some private satellite operators. All three
of the state agencies have reviewed that code and
accepted it. Go argue with them.

Ciao,

--
FA