Re: [LAD] CAPS* as LV2

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 29 2012 - 22:58:09 EET

On Thu, 2012-11-29 at 16:36 +0000, Aurélien Leblond wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Quick question: does the CAPS* plugins suite exist in LV2 format (I'm
> almost sure the answer is no, as I have looked everywhere, but you never
> know...).
>
> If not, could somebody who knows the code of these plugins let me know how
> hard it would be to port them to LV2? Are there any pitfalls to look for?

My usual mostly-automated strategy is:

1) Install NASPRO to get the LADSPAs working as LV2s automagically.

2) Use lv2info -p FILE -m MANIFEST_FILE to write Turtle data

3) Port C code, which is mainly just a trivial job of chopping out junk
that is no longer necessary and changing some names

4) Tidy up data files by hand, coming up with plugin URIs and making
sure port symbols are correct and so on.

A more automatic special purpose program to do this could be made, but
this works well enough for me.

If the plugins happen to be internally abstracted from the plugin API,
you might be able to do the above and just write a new wrapper. This is
how I ported Fons' plugins without changing the code.

> Background: a few years back, I created a few synths using AlsaModularSynth
> - I'm trying to recreate them into Ingen.

God's work etc. :)

-dr