Re: [LAD] Writing a music notation editor and need some help with MIDI, Jack, and FluidSynth

From: Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 21 2012 - 20:42:07 EET

[M Donalies]
>I have a few other questions that aren't directly related:
>The first has to do with manipulating midi ctlr events to simulate various
>musical techniques like legato and palm muting. What I've tried so far doesn't
>sound very good. I need legato in polyphonic mode, so just overlapping notes
>doesn't work. Sending a legato ctlr message doesn't seem to do anything. I'm
>not looking for anything real fancy, just something to make trills & slurs
>sound reasonable. I think all I want to do is to skip the attack portion of
>the sample. For palm muting, I've shortened the note duration, but I'd like to
>darken or thicken the timbre. Is there any simple way to do this?

Even if you have a synth with a polyphonic legato implementation, you
will often find it making the wrong decisions connecting voices
because it's virtually impossible to tell voices apart when they're
lumped into one MIDI channel, especially when a voice can rest
occasionally. To make it work and sound halfway decent, I've found no
better way than to isolate and map each voice to its own channel and
make sure the synth patch on that channel interprets legato the way
you want it, if necessary with the help of additional CC messages.

Palm muting can be somewhat credibly emulated by lowering the voice
filter frequency (pretty sure fluidsynth has a CC that does that) and
quickening decay/release.