Re: [LAD] Writing a music notation editor and need some help with MIDI, Jack, and FluidSynth

From: M Donalies <ingeniousnebbish@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 24 2012 - 03:14:36 EET

On Friday 21 December 2012 13:34:37 Nils Gey wrote:
> Why another notation editor? What are your complaints about the existing
> ones? Your mail hints at a guitar centric editor. So include tuxguitar as
> comparison in this question as well.
Rather than complain about other programs, I'll just list some features I wish
to support.
1. Nested tracks/staffs to allow grouping of related instruments, like strings,
which expands to violin, viola, cello, and the like.

2. Ability to hide tracks/staffs. Consider trying to write a Concerto for Rock
Band and Orchestra.

3. Choice of staff type. Currently, it supports standard notation and
tablature, with more limited support for percussion, percussion line, and
chord line.

4. Multiple simultaneous time signatures.

5. Allow both broad brush and fine tuning properties for notes. For example,
say we have a sequence of 8th notes. They all get displayed as 8ths, but each
can have its own offset from that time used during playback. Similarly, for
duration and volume.

6. Reference clips. By clip I mean a container of events, similar to a clip in
Rosegarden or Sonar. By reference, I mean like a reference variable. The
reference clip is like a non-editable copy of an ordinary clip. Change the
ordinary one and all reference clips change as well. Useful for doubling of
instruments. Could also come in handy for the initial setup of a fugue,
especially if transposition and inversion of the original are supported.

> And are there any screenshots or more text info around?
Not yet. I plan to upload some stuff to sf within a month or so, at which time
I'll give it a proper announcement. It's called Sqorlatti, but there's nothing
but an empty sf project page so far.

--
7:8