Re: [LAD] Writing a music notation editor and need some help with MIDI, Jack, and FluidSynth

From: M Donalies <ingeniousnebbish@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 28 2012 - 17:03:11 EET

On Monday 24 December 2012 05:52:41 Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> I think that you are not getting more help here because a terminology
> confusion. This is only a guess, but I think that by "jack connections" you
> mean the lines that can be created in the "ALSA" tab of qjackctl. In that
> case, you are using the wrong name because those lines have nothing to do
> with jack. They are ALSA sequencer connections that can be made using
> other programs as well, like "aconnect". There is an ALSA API to create
> connections; look for "subscription" here:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/seq.html
>
> If you want to use jack midi instead, please clarify (and don't expect
> answers or interest from me.)

Well, that explains why there's a separate ALSA tab in QJackCtl. And, yes, I'm
using the ALSA tab to make my connections. So, at this point, it seems I don't
really need jack.

Just a side question: if I had an application that uses audio and midi (like
Sonar), who keeps them in sync? Is this ALSA or Jack?

> > The first thing I don't understand is in scheduleEvents() why passing
> > absolute times to the queue doesn't work.
>
> Probably because when you execute snd_seq_start_queue(), the queue's clock
> starts rolling, and the queue won't play events having timestamps in the
> past, only in the future. If your MIDI events have very low timestamps,
> you can try adding the current queue's time at scheduleEvents(). But in
> this case, using relative times is much easier.
>
> > And once I have absolute times,
> > how do I do the play/pause in the transport loop in main().
>
> You already know the queue control functions: snd_seq_start_queue(),
> snd_seq_stop_queue() and snd_seq_continue_queue().

So the queue has its own clock? Can I create the queue, push events to it,
then start it? And if I then stop the queue and later continue, will it
process the rest of the events from where it left off when it was stopped?

> Assuming that you want to use the ALSA Sequencer, and not jack midi, I can
> provide some working examples.
>
> As per your request, a simple metronome program in C
> http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2009/08/att-0005/ametro.c
>
> You can check as well the examples in my drumstick library (Qt4, C++)
> http://drumstick.sourceforge.net/docs/metronome.cpp-example.html

Perfect. And you pre-answered my next question. Is there a C++ wrapper for
ALSA? And uses Qt too! Nice. Thanks.

--
7:8