Re: [LAD] Announcing PHASEX-0.14.96

From: William Weston <whw@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 30 2012 - 23:53:16 EET

Correct.  Multi-instance worked, but it was a pain.  Currently, number
of voices is set at compile time, so be sure to run configure with
--enable-parts=4, or however may parts you want to use.  More than two
parts per CPU core is not currently recommended, however.

> > - Session bank (very much like the patch bank).
> > - Jack Session.
> > - Stereo- and Multi- outputs for JACK.
>
> Nice!
>
> > - ALSA PCM audio.
> > - JACK MIDI.
>
> Another nicety!
>
> > - ALSA Raw MIDI.
> > - Generic MIDI (/dev/midi support).
> > - MIDI clock for timestamping and queuing events.
> > - Active Sensing.
> > - New oscillator waveforms.
> > - Portamento for Osc Transpose events.
> > - FM oscillator latching.
> > - New LFO parameters.
> > - Moog (24db/octave) filter.
> > - Fast fade-out mono retriggering.
> > - Interpolated oscillator table lookups.
> > - Ability to run with no GUI.
>
> This is very welcome too.
>
> > - JACK MIDI / ALSA Raw / ALSA Seq connections in menus.
> > - Widescreen layout mode.
> > - New preferences dialog w/ nearly all settings.
> > - New knobs.
> > - Pure 64-bit math in builds with --enable-cpu-power=4.
> >

> > New Features from Anton Kormakov:
> > - LASH.
> > - MIDI Hold pedal.
> > - JACK Transport.
> >

> And the Panic button?

I had already implemented this as the "Notes Off" button before reviewing
Anton's work.  This probably should be renamed.

> > Overall, I am pleased with where PHASEX has arrived. In the past, I
> > had always been disappointed with PHASEX and its shortcomings, and for
> > many reasons. Until now. The code is cleaner and easier to work on.
> > Most of the old bugs have been replaced with more intelligent design.
> > On an -rt kernel, xruns are a thing of the past. Sound quality is
> > cleaner. GUI is much more responsive. Dependence on the command line
> > is kept to a bare minimum. Sessions can be managed with ease. Per
> > part memory and CPU utilization has decreased vs. multi-instance
> > v0.12.x. Timing is almost as good as it gets (sample accurate for
> > JACK MIDI, near sample accurate for ALSA seq, and almost as good as
> > your hardware will allow for ALSA raw MIDI.)
>
> Cool! No more drifting arpeggios :)

Unfortunately, I haven't got around to implementing LFO sync with the MIDI
clock yet, so there still may be some drift.  This MIDI clock currently
handles event timestamping and MIDI/audio/engine thread synchronization,
and does not yet handle phase sync.  If you're running on a fast 64-bit
processor, you can get better precision on the LFOs with a pure 64-bit
build (--enable-cpu-power=4).

> > This version is fully tested with Fedora 17 and 18, and should be just
> > as trouble free on any Fedora >= 14 or CentOS >= 6.0. At some point
> > next month, I'll be rebuilding my RAID and dedicating some space to
> > running other distributions. Until then, a request goes out for build
> > reports from other distros, especially Debian/Ubuntu, Arch, and Mint.
> > There's still time to get build files from other distros into the git
> > tree before v0.15.0 comes out.
> >

> I have a source package ready for Ubuntu 12.04 but I can't build it yet
> because of the current issues with Jack1. I could try building against
> Jack2 but then I can't test it myself because I don't use Jack2.

Try v0.14.97-dev in git:

git clone -b v0.14.97-dev https://github.com/williamweston/phasex.git

I haven't been able to verify the jack1 fixes yet, but I'm very hopeful.

Cheers,
--ww