Re: [LAD] What KvR didnīt understand.

From: Vytautas Jancauskas <unaudio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 07 2013 - 15:27:09 EET

This is completely off topic but are you mental?

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Ove Karlsen <
ove.karlsen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 1/7/2013 1:57 PM, Ove Karlsen wrote:
>
>> What KvR didnīt understand 10 yrs ago, and still donīt understand.
>>
>> Why does digital synths often sound so bad? Either stale, or harsh etc.
>>
>> Let me tell you in complete truth and honesty, is has got nothing to do
>> with digital. It has something to do with the engineers making the
>> algorithms.
>>
>> When I was a newbie DSP engineer, the first thing I tried was making a
>> TB-303 filter. Which is what a lot of people do first. I talked to the
>> people on #musicdsp, and they had little clue, some had tried and said it
>> was difficult or impossible, some say they had succeded but their filters
>> didnīt sound too good.
>>
>> On a few days, not having touched code, since I was 12 years old, I did a
>> resonance filter, that screamed and shreaked. Some engineers in the KvR
>> forum, said it was a bad thing to do, because their job now got so much
>> more difficult.
>>
>> When in reality, it was not difficult at all. And this is typical for
>> those kinds of engineers. They donīt get into the algorithm. They donīt
>> understand what is going on. Instead very unecesary high-level theorems,
>> they try to fit into what is simple analog feedback paths.
>>
>> One of the guys even worked with supposedly professor for many years, and
>> they did not come up with anything good.
>>
>> They argue it is something to do with frequency-response, for instance,
>> why the analog filters sound the way they do, and it cannot completely be
>> done in digial.
>>
>> All this is just crazy trash.
>>
>> Later I actually looked at the schematics for the 303, and realized there
>> was just four feedback-paths with one negative feedback-path around. It is
>> as simple as that. That is all "analog vintage" synth-filters. There is
>> absolutely no obscurity going on, it is as simple as it can be.
>>
>> Knowing that analog has a certain headroom, and that components are a bit
>> inaccurate, and there is often some highpassing going on, due to the
>> frequency-response of the components, you can model that, VERY SIMPLY, and
>> without much cpu use. Some of the stuff released on KvR uses extreme cpu,
>> and even sounds bad.
>>
>> Try this ok, in your synth, and you will realizing that digital can sound
>> just as good as analog, and without the inaccuracies. And analog often has
>> characteristics you DONīT want. So it is even better.
>>
>> Released under The Beneficient Open-source licence. Please google it.
>> Since this licence allows for functions alone, to be released as opensource
>> you can make it a function, and use it alongside whatever else you use.
>>

>> //licenced under The Beneficient Open-source Licence.
>> // Osc lo-emph.
>> b_lo = b_lo + ((-b_lo + b_v) * b_lfr); // for emulating the
>> analog-charateristic of more saturation in the low-freq. (due to saturated
>> buffers)
>> b_v = b_v - b_lo;
>> b_v = b_v + (b_lo * b_lgn);

> [...]

"Cheshire-Puss," she began, "would you tell me, please,
which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't care much where--" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.