Re: [LAD] Announcing PHASEX-0.14.96

From: William Weston <whw@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 22 2013 - 00:27:34 EET

Great!

> But I'm pretty sure that syncing Phasex to an external MIDI clock
> worked before, now it doesn't. I'm sending MIDI Clock from Renoise to
> Phasex. I checked that the ports are connected and the clock is sent
> with qjackctl & aseqdump. Is it possible that some change between 0.96
> and 0.97 created a problem with the MIDI Clock?

Are there any specific sync/timing issues that you're trying to solve
by sending MIDI Clock messages?

MIDI Clock messages are currently ignored.  The original MIDI enabled
version of phasex had this, but it ended up adding too much jitter to
the LFO frequencies and caused more problems than it solved.  The
internal MIDI clock in phasex is used for timestamping incoming events
and assigning frame position.  (Future plans include a more robust
tempo clock that can be used with MIDI Clock, MTC, MIDI triggers, tap
tempo, JACK Transport, etc.)

For now, the best options for keeping in sync with tempo changes are
JACK Transport Tempo sync or automating the BPM parameter.  Not ideal,
I know... but this is better than nothing and should hold up until I
can get the tempo clock designed.

Cheers,
--ww