Re: [LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 05 2013 - 18:55:27 EET

Hi Dave!

This e-mail will probably not come to LAU and LAD (I hope it will, maybe
with your help :-) (to restrictive settings)) but I hope you get it.

Reply to All / Reply to List
On Tuesday 05 February 2013 09.58.14 Dave Phillips wrote:
> So, in your honest and bold opinion as user and/or developer, what do
> we lack most and what can we do without that we already have ? Please
> feel free to expand your remarks as you like. I'm planning an article
> on the topic and will likely use selected comments, subject to
> approval of course.

* Bad vendor support. This goes for anything like drivers,
  software (IE: editors for different HW) and official support.

* LADs are in general not good to think as musicians,
  producers and sound engineers. The stuff they make
  are in general very good. But imagine what a Linux-
  newbie has to deal with when he see phrases like:
  "QT based" and "GTK based". This should be a
  developer only thing, nothing that end users who
  more and less are in constant right brain hemisphere
  moods should have to care about.

* A very geeky community. I see very often the answer:
  "read the ALSA matrix" when a poor newbie or a
  curious person asks for the best soundcards for Linux.
  That something works in Linux does not mean
  that it's good for AUDIO recording and studio work
  in general.

That said, personally I'm happy, but that's because I have the required
geekyness needed for audio work in Linux. And I'm very grateful for what
the LADs has done for me and I'm grateful for the inspiration the LAU's
gives.

Jostein