Re: [LAD] [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 05 2013 - 23:17:40 EET

On Wed, February 6, 2013 7:12 am, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Louigi Verona
> <louigi.verona@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>
>> Here, on Linux, there is no such thing as market competition. And thus
>> -
>> no natural selection of software, so to speak.
>>

> if and when bitwig is released for linux, i suspect this will not be the
> case anymore.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them
all and in the darkness bind them...

We already have market competition. AVID, Apple, Microsoft, AMD, Nokia and
even Google actively work against anything the open source multimedia
developers are throwing at them. Intel is on the fence. They have a large
Linux department but don't make many contributions round here. We don't
here from ARM much either but TI, Qualcomm do support their employees
supporting this community. The strange thing is how many movie studios use
our tools but are not actively contributing to the community. There is a
pickup in radio stations though. However the bulk of the work that is done
is privately funded or research projects.

What sucks about Linux Audio is the guys who print as much money as they
want don't like open source multimedia. They see it as an existential
threat and do everything they can to cripple wider adoption of the tools,
products and services that open source multimedia folks provide.

Given that the Linux Audio Community is not in a position to fight on the
same level we are always the underdog. If I had the ability to print
billions of dollars and rack up trillions of dollars of debt with my
Hereditary Bankster Elite Buddies things would be very different for Open
Source Multimedia. If we didn't have to compete with Government
organisations backed by unlimited funds to make a sale of our products we
would be very busy.

In the meantime I have to feed my kids and pay the rent like every other
Joe who is not a member of the 1% or working for them. I face the choice
of starving to death to make a rental payment so I can have a place to
work 90 hours a week or being forced out of business if I can't pay my tax
on time. Whereas the competition are able to borrow billions from their
mates, create unlimited reserves of cash and never ever have to pay it
back. That really sucks!

Even companies that are generating billions of dollars thanks to open
source multimedia solutions like the ALSA project don't even try to give
anything back to the wider community. Where are the contributions from
the likes of Samsung and Google to Linux Audio and multimedia solutions?
Let alone all the smaller companies that are using our software for their
business products and refuse to chip in occasionally with some useful
contributions.There are many corporations that are quite happy to take the
work that has been done and profit from it but feel absolutely no
motivation to give anything back. That sucks!

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd