Re: [LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: John Rigg <ladev3@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2013 - 10:52:29 EET

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 12:09:17PM -0500, Fred Gleason wrote:
> I suspect that many of the points in your list about "confusion" and
> "fragmentation" come from users who are expecting this One Perfect System
> and are then disappointed by the reality of having to make choices and
> exercise knowledge. (And, even those Other OSes that purport to deliver
> this universal platform are more sizzle than steak here, as users who have
> attempted to configure multiple applications with varying requirements for
> MME vs. DirectSound vs. ASIO can attest). Life is complicated. Linux
> exposes this and empowers the user to make choices about what fits *his*
> application best, rather than trying to paper them over into an illusion
> of homogeneity. That's a strength, not a weakness!

I agree with everything in your post, and especially the above point.
Many here appear to be music makers rather than audio engineers. That's
two totally different sets of requirements.

I use Linux for audio engineering (my job) and find it already meets my
needs better than Windows or OS X. There are only two things missing AFAIC,
and neither is the fault of Linux.

The first is the lack of an effective DAW session exchange program, which I
blame on the deliberately obscured session data formats used by Avid etc. The
second is lack of support for many pro level interfaces, thanks to the lack
of programming information from the manufacturers (RME and a couple of others
excepted).

John