Re: [LAD] [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: John Rigg <ladev3@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2013 - 21:56:45 EET

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 08:47:55AM -0800, Michael Bechard wrote:
> I think others (most?) in this community want to see Linux audio
> flourish and not become relegated to an audio environment for
> programmers. Nobody's slagging audio geeks, really, we just want to see
> some effort put into making the platform more accessible to a wider
> audience, and in the process (hopefully) maybe free up that right side
> of the brain to do its own thing in our own music-making processes. I
> personally do not like to have to think about very technical issues when
> making music; I just want to create.

I should point out that your requirements as a music maker and those of audio
engineers like myself are mutually exclusive in many respects.

I need flexibility and configurability, plus access to the source code,
in order to do my job effectively. Of course it should be possible to cater
to both sets of users, but I don't see how it can be done easily. Don't
Windows and OS X already offer what you describe?

John