Re: [LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2013 - 04:31:42 EET

On Wed, 2013-02-06 at 22:42 -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> On 02/06/2013 10:24 PM, David Robillard wrote:
> > ... We all complain
> > sometimes, but people who do nothing but complain are nothing but toxic.
> >
> > I hope this thread didn't go that way, but I'm sure as hell not going to
> > read it to find out ;)
>
> So far so good, I'm happy to report. I have a lot to read and consider.

Good to hear. As an almost entirely infrastructure level person this
sort of thing is firmly in the toxic "actively try to avoid" bucket, but
I'm sure there's more value to it at the user level.

> And as always, thanks for your work on LV2, I'm a fan.

LV2 sucks! ;)

... but it sucks much less than it used to.

If in this process you end up compiling a list of unmet requirements
with respect to plugin APIs, please send them the way of lv2-dev, or the
lv2plug.in tracker, or myself, and they'll be addressed soon enough.
Since 1.0.0 most things are actually quite simple to add, but currently
progress is exclusively driven on a "hacker with an itch" basis, which
tends to be dramatically more esoteric than common user basic use cases.

Because of that and other reasons, I think a high level roadmap is
important, and am trying to establish one at http://lv2plug.in/roadmap
to make it clear where we were, are, and are going, and what needs doing
to get there.

I really don't have the time these days to invent new problems for
myself by guessing (poorly) what others might care about (or be on IRC
all day, or read these tedious threads), but I do have time to
occasionally spend a few hours plowing through the tracker and fixing
what's there. Filing tickets, then, is a very easy way to ensure your
needs are met. Conversely, no ticket => no care.

Cheers,

-dr