Re: [LAD] [LAU] jackdbus eating 100% cpu after a while

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 09 2013 - 14:24:22 EET

Hi James,

On 02/09/2013 01:11 PM, James Stone wrote:
> Hi Flo, I am also running Ubuntu 12.10 and using jackdbus. It is
> really nice for things like playing along to youtube videos.. On my
> computer, I noticed that jack does have a tendency to lockup after a
> while when jackdbus is running. I had the feeling that it might be
> something to do with latency, as I found it is impossible to start
> jack at very low latencies with jackdbus running. I was using 128
> samples which seemed to be OK, but at that latency, the lockups
> occurred after some time. I tried increasing latency to 256
> samples/44.1k. Following this, it seems to operate fine (at least I
> have had no more dropouts), but it is all a bit fiddly to get it to
> work properly, and I would probably disable pulse if I wanted to do
> serious recording etc without the mixing capabilities that jackdbus
> adds.. James

I use very large period sizes, 1024 or even 2048. The problem of jackd
starting to eat 100% cpu occurs usually when I'm done with my current
work (recording something or fiddling around) and just leave it running
idly. Then when I return to my computer after a few hours jackd sits
there happily eating cpu. It has the side effect of heating my room, but
heating with electricity is expensive and thus I'd rather avoid it ;D

Have fun,
Flo

--
Florian Paul Schmidt