Re: [LAD] C/gtk3/cairo meter widget

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2013 - 13:51:14 EET

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Patrick Shirkey <
pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, February 11, 2013 3:21 pm, Paul Davis wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Patrick Shirkey <
> > pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> https://github.com/sat-metalab/scenic/blob/master/src/vumeter/vumeter.cpp
> >> >
> https://github.com/sat-metalab/scenic/blob/master/src/include/vumeter.h

> >> Thanks. It does look useful. Seems to be written for gtk2 though. Have
> >> you
> >> compiled it with gtk3?
> >>

> > at the very least, it would need a draw() method rather than an expose()
> > method.
> >
> > plus, if i read it correctly it also redraws its entire self (subject to
> > cairo clipping) on every expose.
> >
> > contrast with the the fastmeter in ardour3's libs/gtkmm2ext which draws
> > only the changed pixels per expose.
> >

> I would prefer to use that but it's in pure C++ as well as GTK2 so I have
> to convert it to c and gtk3 :-(

well it depends on what you want. tristan's has level markings etc. as part
of the meter widget, and is very close to a pure C widget. mine has a very
efficient and C-ish drawing method that was created with gtk3 in mind.

its not exactly atypical to find that what you want doesn't exist and you
have to blend bits and piece.