Re: [LAD] Interoperability between session management systems

From: David Adler <david.jo.adler@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 24 2013 - 02:24:44 EET

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM, David Robillard wrote:
> I was tinkering with saving sessions in a format that is just a
> directory with a shell script with a standard name (and perhaps some
> standard arguments) which you call to restore or do other things.
>
> Not sure if that's a really feasible solution in general, but it's
> basically the only way to save sessions in a way that don't require a
> specific session manager to load, and doesn't impose any file formats.
>
> Actually being able to restore sessions decently from a script requires
> a few more sophisticated jack command line utilities (like a
> jack_connect that can wait for clients and so on), but those are useful
> anyway.
>
> I like the lowest common denominator, and UNIXeyness, and zero
> imposition of syntax and so on, of this idea, but haven't really
> investigated it or done much of an implementation.
>
> Being based purely on classic UNIXisms (directory and a script that
> calls some utilities is all that's going on) is probably the only way to
> actually get everybody to agree on such a thing. Standardization of
> such a spec would only involved command line utilities/arguments, paths,
> and environment variables. Thanks to the shebang mechanism, it would be
> language agnostic as well.
>
> Personally I have no plans to prioritize this, but I think it's an
> interesting area to explore.

Chino goes in that direction. Less session management, more
a framework for building meta-applications from applications.

A well-formed preset needs to be created for the user's use
cases, that preset then defines applications via a bash file
containing some functions and variables and via application-files
that get copied to child sessions.

It still needs some love, but just today I pushed a new release
getting rid of a few bugs and inconveniences. It's surely not
what many people call user-friendly, just my take on a UNIXish
manner of herding the cats (applications).

http://chino.tuxfamily.org

cheers
 -da