Re: [LAD] JACK and CPU stress testing

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 01 2013 - 18:10:17 EET

On 03/01/2013 12:24 PM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On 03/01/2013 11:41 AM, Harry van Haaren wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm currently attempting to stress test my setup of -rt kernel, rtirq
>> scripts, and a Jack client program I've been working on.
>> So my idea is to create a script that runs the programs, and also a
>> cpu-load generating program (cpuburn or alternative).
>> Then collecting stats based on Xruns, % DSP load, etc.
>>
>> I intend to show (trough brute force) that an application is RT capable
>> on machine X with a latency of Y ms.
>> Of course this won't be 100% representative, but the stats will show
>> some RT-safe-ness.
>>
>> Has anybody done this kind of profiling / stress testing with JACK
>> before?
>> Hints / tips / advice / etc welcomed! -Harry
>>

> once upon a time, many many years ago, i had this one:
> http://www.rncbc.org/archive/old/jack_test4.4.tar.gz
> untar, make and ./jack_test4_run.sh

ps. it might need some contemporary review ofc.

pps. just for the laughs, the dusty now old story tells about that this
jack_test hack was very instrumental back on the primordial days of
voluntary_preempt which in turn lead to the early kernel 2.6 preempt_rt
patches and testing and, as a matter of in fact, first rtirq inception
also dates from that glorious era :)

cheers

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela