Re: [LAD] OT: Bitwig beta for Linux reviewed

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Mar 10 2013 - 19:56:44 EET

On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 15:00 +0100, Dominique Michel wrote:
> The main gentoo disadvantage is that compiling every thing can be very
> stressing for the hardware. You will need good quality hdd and RAM on
> the long run. Also, using a rt kernel with portage is not recommended,
> this can lead to very strange bugs. This is why I am using the
> gentoo-sources kernel with rt enabled trough cgroups. An alternative
> is to use one kernel with portage and the rt kernel for audio work.

That's interesting.

IMO it's often needed to compile at least audio software, because
packages of major distributions often are buggy. Providing bad versions
of software or the package maintainers add bugs, I guess we all remember
the libjack issues and IMO we still have similar issues nowadays.

Arch is a mix of packages and something comparable to ebuilds, the most
pleasant workflow to set up a Linux for my taste. I set up FreeBSD by
only using ports, IOW I compiled everything on my machine, something
that's too time consuming.

On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 16:05 +0100, William Light wrote:
> I own an XT license and used it before Renoise became available. XT
> never supported LADSPA, just VST, and it was some of the least stable
> software I'd ever used. It was fine at first, but it's got a nasty
> case
> of bit-rot. Most of my songs I've made in XT make the current build
> segfault. 32-bit only, never any 64-bit binaries. It's as good as
> abandonware at this point.
>
> Shame, really. Some good ideas in that DAW.

Perhaps it's written for Windows?

Regards,
Ralf