Re: [LAD] Mixing audio: Implementing pan and balance

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 12 2013 - 21:13:44 EET

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> lance, but slightly different levels, but not a true 'stereo pan'.
>
> But having said that, yes I'm wondering about a true 'stereo pan' feature.

first, terminology. just as when describing track or bus I/O configuration,
"mono" and 'stereo" just doesn't really work very well.

simpler to describe things in terms of number of inputs and number of
outputs.

with 1 input to 1 output: no panning
1 input to 2 output: simple panning
2 inputs to 2 outputs: ....

in this last case you have to consider the desired "width" of the signal,
as well as possible phase relationships between the 2 inputs. in many
scenarios it would be technically wrong to ever sent the "L" input to the
"R" speaker and vice versa, but in others it may be ok. and the user might
want it to be ok in every case.

etc.