Re: [LAD] Mixing audio: Implementing pan and balance

From: John Rigg <ladev4@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 16 2013 - 15:25:26 EET

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 11:16:46AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-03-16 at 09:50 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
> > ... check for phase errors ... on hardware mixing consoles ...
>
> I'm doing it too. Mono compatibility seems to be less important for the
> Linux community.

There's possibly a lack of awareness. Anyone who mixes sound as a job
(and wants to keep it) knows it's important to check in mono. Even if
it will only be played back in stereo a phase reversal on one side will
cancel low frequency centre-panned signals when listening between the
speakers.

Judging by the comments I hear from mastering engineers about dimwits
putting a phase reversed bass or kick drum in the mix and not noticing,
it isn't just a problem in the Linux audio community.

> My hardware mixing console doesn't provide a mono switch and since I
> won't mis-adjust the pan pots I rout it mono by subgroups.

A lot of mixing consoles don't provide a mono switch, but it's usually
possible to work around it with sub groups. I still have to work out a
convenient method for mono checking in Ardour 3.

John