Re: [LAD] Mixing audio: Implementing pan and balance

From: Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 17 2013 - 01:50:52 EET

On Mar 16, 2013, at 06:16 46, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I don't know how they handle it today, in the past German radio station
> didn't play recordings with phase errors and they neither fixed it in
> any way to play it.

This is very much the way it is in the US today, where phasing errors (or even gross differences in average power between L and R channels) can play havoc with the MPX stereo encoding used on analog FM carriers. If you want airplay there, your mix better be right!

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Chief Developer |
| | Paravel Systems |
| "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of very, very long cat. You pull |
| his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you |
| understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send |
| signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that |
| there is no cat." |
| |
| -- Albert Einstein, upon being asked to describe radio |