Re: [LAD] A3 clicks

From: John Rigg <ladev6@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 18 2013 - 20:23:05 EEST

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 06:28:39PM +0200, Nick Copeland wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 08:24:29AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>

> > inevitable, since you are changing the order of processors in the channel
>
> > strip. in some setups, you will notice the click as this happens, in others
>
> > you will not.
>

> This makes A3 unusable for live work. For the simple reason that nobody expects
>
> such a thing to happen, not any more than e.g. using a PFL should cause clicks.
>
> I will refrain from mentioning the not-so-kind adjectives that would be used
>
> to describe a HW mixer doing such a thing.
>
> > add it to the list of several hundred other items that all make A3 unusable for this or that.
> Fons - could you outline a few of the needs to relocate such taps during a live performance?I don't have much knowledge either way but you always have context behind your remarks andthat might help to put the issue into perspective.
> Having those taps are useful for reviewing signals levels, looking for sources of noise/hum, butI would probably prefer to select those taps during soundcheck rather then when actually live, bythat time it might already be too late, but hey - you have a _lot_ more experience here.
> Regards, nick.

Not answering for Fons, but I've done a lot of live sound mixing over the years.
In live mixing you often need to meter at different points in the signal chain to
check levels, as they are constantly changing, often unpredictably. Nothing ever
stays as it was in a sound check. (I personally wouldn't use a DAW running
on commodity computer hardware for live mixing, but that's another matter ;-)

John