Re: [LAD] A3 clicks

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 19 2013 - 02:39:32 EEST

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 00:38:26 +0200 David <dplist@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 18:23:05 +0100
> John Rigg <ladev6@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > In live mixing you often need to meter at different points in the
> > signal chain to check levels, as they are constantly changing, often
> > unpredictably. Nothing ever stays as it was in a sound check.
>
> Agreed. Though all my live mixing experience was with analog devices,
> I too was pleased when provided with noiseless-in-pa-free metering
> options.
>
> A DAW is not a live mixing console, that's true but for a couple of
> years, I've been seeing, from the audience, digital desks looking
> closer and closer to DAWs, blurring the frontier.

What is the difference between a multi-track-recorder(*) with
low-latency "monitoring", mixer, effects and remote-control abilities
(mackie, midi, osc) on one hand and a low-latency fully digital
mixer with effects, multi-track recording and remote-control abilities
(mackie, midi, osc(?))?

See, I couldn't spot it either...

To rephrase Fons:

Why the hell would my main-output click when I change my tech-headphone
from pfl to afl? Regardless whether "main" is a PA or just the other
guys listening in the studio, this shouldn't happen.
And why should it be technically needed to have this behaviour?
Monitoring should be feed from the channels in parallel to the main
audio-flow, not disrupting the audio-flow.

Have fun,

Arnold

(*) I know, its an awfull simplification of what ardour is...