Re: [LAD] zita1 RIP

From: John Rigg <ladev6@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 05 2013 - 12:50:42 EEST

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 07:09:56PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> The new zita1 will probably be a Fujitsu P510, one of the
> reasons being that this is one of the few still having at
> least one PCI slot, so I can still use my sound cards. Any
> suggestions for alternatives are welcome !

If you wanted to go the AMD route, ASUS are still making some
motherboards with 2 or more PCI slots. I'm still using Athlon64x2
CPUs on Asus M3A78-PRO boards (with ECC RAM) in my DAWs, but last
time I checked there were still current boards with 3 PCI slots.
Boards with 2xPCI are still fairly common.

In general I prefer ECC memory, high efficiency CPUs and low-power
graphics hardware for audio work. Keeping the power consumption down
allows fan noise to be minimised. My location DAW can run fanless.
I also prefer to run efficient software to keep CPU load (and heat)
down.

Thanks for writing such efficient software BTW :-)

John