[LAD] New version of JackMix

From: Dr Nicholas J Bailey <nicholas.bailey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 20 2013 - 13:16:07 EEST

I was attracted by the small (memory and screen) footprint of JackMix, the Qt
Matrix Mixer for Jack, which makes it very useful on laptops, but needed to be
able to control it via MIDI. This lets us give performances at conferences
when we can't afford to talk the whole ensemble. We play a video along with the
live musicians feeding separate mixes to each performer and to master speakers
from multi-track video being played by the VLC Jack plugin.

Consequently, I've updated it to make the mixing elements respond to MIDI
control commands.

My updated version is here: https://github.com/nickbailey/jackmix

If the original author, Arnold Krille, is reading this, I'd really like to
email you, Arnold. There are one or two things I'd like to change but don't
yet understand the best way to do it!

Here is the NEWS file:

VERSION 0.5.0
-------------

New features this version (added by Nick):

The right-click on the matrix can be a bit fiddly to pop up the
context menu instead of the knob setting spinbox, so the following
shortcuts are now available:

* Toggle element selection with Shift-Mouse1
* Replace selected elements with Ctrl-Shift-Mouse1 in the upper-
  left-most selected element

MIDI control of the mixer is now available. You can route signals
from a MIDI control surface to JackMix: it appears as "JackMix" in
the ALSA MIDI tab of QJackControl, for example. Each element now has
an extra context menu entry: "Assign MIDI Parameter". Use should be
self-evident.

Points to note:

 * You can't unassign a midi parameter -- it can be set to
   0 though (my control surface doesn't have controller 0;
   some may I suppose).

 * MIDI control parameter numbers are saved in the xml file
   generated by File->Save File... menu action, but this means
   there are extra XML attributes which might upset older versions
   of JackMix. I've not tested this, but it might cause problems
   if you aren't aware of the extra functionality.