Re: [LAD] Just an information about the state of affairs - Re: forking (was Re: Aeolus)

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 22 2013 - 09:18:58 EEST

On September 21, 2013 07:32:56 PM Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 04:36:45PM +0300, Dan Muresan wrote:
> > M. Gavioli also sent me a private e-mail. He sounded like he was
> > worried about the community going after him (possibly legally I
> > guess). This is not a good outcome, regardless of intentions.
>
> Indeed not. I'll take care of this. Maurizio Gavioli has nothing
> to fear, at least not from me. Nor do I consider him to be be
> 'simple minded' as was suggested, on the contrary.
>
> Meanhwile I have removed all references to the mailing lists
> hosted by muse-sequencer, to the wiki (which resulted in a 404
> when I tried it yesterday), and some other dead links from my
> website.
>
> For any enquiries, discussions, or whatever issues regarding
> Aeolus please just use the LAU or LAD mailing list which I read
> (almost) daily.
>
> Ciao,

I thought you'd made a mistake meaning muse-score instead of
 muse-sequencer, but...

http://www.muse-sequencer.org/index.php/Aeolus

Yikes! I had no idea that old 2006 page was there.
I could not figure out how to get to it from our pages.
But typing Aeolus into Google, lo and behold - there's /our/ page
 at the very top of the Google results.
I've CC'd just to see what Robert and Joachim think.

(Hey Fons, check out the Aeolus logos that Joachim made at page bottom.)

Anyway, question:
How hard would it be to make Aeolus available as a plugin like DSSI,
 LV2 or LinuxVST, or... WinVST?

Would that not solve all issues? Official code would always be up to date.
Maybe get the muse-score team to write the WinVST?
Ah, SDK NDAs, cost and so on is a problem? No muse-score WinVST support?
Hm. What can muse-score do? They need something to make noise in Win.
Still, I'm seeing hefty mods to your program out in the wild, maybe take
 a look, pick and choose and merge some of them back?

Plugins are preferred over external apps - no added latency.
Also there's the ugly business of session managers and getting the
 whole multi-app setup to reload exactly as before.
When no plugin is available, one resorts to quickly hacking up an
 embedded version of some cool app. It tends to grow from there.

MusE has never embedded Aeolus as a MESS plugin, but at one time
 ZynSubFX was.

Fons you say Aeolus itself does not restore some settings (stops?).
But can a connected app restore them by sending the whole lot
 as midi controller values? Even better, if it's a plugin, the infrastructure
 is already there (in MusE) to automatically restore settings, rather than
 requiring some extra song data or controller values by the user for
 said restoration.

Let us host Aeolus some day. Be our guest!

Tim.