Re: [LAD] lv2 external UI -- was Re: LV2 Oscilloscope

From: Filipe Coelho <falktx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 11 2013 - 17:45:13 EEST

On 10/11/2013 03:08 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> In any case, external UI's should be avoided if possible, there are very
> few valid use-cases. Just use a 'normal' LV2 UI or let the host generate
> one.
I'm sorry, but I have to ask - what is for you a "normal" LV2 UI?

Some might say Gtk2 or Qt4 or X11 on Linux, but things are changing fast
that will not allow this.
Gtk3 UIs will not work on Gtk2 hosts, with the same regarding Qt4 and
Qt5 (and vice-versa).
Then don't forget we're moving to Wayland and/or Mir...

Current Qt5 release (as of 5.2) doesn't provide a way to embed widgets
afaik, like the Qt4's QX11Embed/Container.

In my case (of Carla 2.0), I'm moving away from having *any* toolkit
code in the backend except "native" UIs (Linux being X11 for now).
This means UIs that use some toolkit (Gtk2/3, Qt4/5, FLTK, etc) and need
instance-access will not work.