Re: [LAD] [LAU] limiting email traffic

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 31 2013 - 17:19:22 EET

On Thursday 31 October 2013 11:12:13 Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 10/29/2013 05:26 PM, Charles Z Henry wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >> The system will be activated on 31/Oct/2013 if not vetoed. The actual
> >> rate-limit may also be adjusted over time to reflect list-behaviour.
> >>
> >> yours truly,
> >> robin
> >
> > So, I've got just today and tomorrow to thrash the server, huh?
>
> lol.
>
> Trashing the server will not be easy, but even after today it will not
> be too hard to pollute the email lists if you really set your mind to it.
>
> Luckily malicious intent is much easier to handle for us.
>
> It's the gray area that causes the email-list-admins headaches. Hence
> this automated fair system. It basically just reminds and enforces what
> should be common sense anyway: If you fail to get your message across in
> ~10 - possibly long messages - on a public forum, better sleep over it.

Have the lists history been mined to see how many "valuable" users violate
this proposed policy one some days? Perhaps they go a week and then have 20
posts in one day and then go another week?

Would it be worthwhile to run this analysis and adjust the algorithm to match
what is found?

> 2c,
> robin

all the best,