Re: [LAD] [LAU] limiting email traffic

From: Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 31 2013 - 18:32:14 EET

On Oct 31, 2013, at 11:19 22, drew Roberts wrote:

> Have the lists history been mined to see how many "valuable" users violate
> this proposed policy one some days? Perhaps they go a week and then have 20
> posts in one day and then go another week?

FWIW, this tends to be my own usage pattern -- a day or two of interacting with various fora, then back to the 'coding cave' for a week or three. On my first day 'back in public', I can easily generate a dozen messages on certain lists.

Might we want to consider modifying this rule so as to apply to a dozen messages *in a given thread* per day? I agree that, if one is doing that much shouting about a single topic, it'd probably be better to give it a rest. :)

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Chief Developer |
| | Paravel Systems |
| Brian Kernighan has an automobile which he helped design. |
| Unlike most automobiles, it has neither speedometer, nor gas guage, nor |
| any of the numerous idiot lights which plague the modern driver. |
| Rather, if the driver makes any mistake, a giant "?" lights up in the |
| center of the dashboard. "The experienced driver", he says, "will |
| usually know what's wrong." |