Re: [LAD] A question about audio file interfaces

From: Devin Anderson <surfacepatterns@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 01 2013 - 02:32:45 EET

Hi Fons,

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Imagine a real-time audio processing app reading (or writing)
> lots of audio files, possibly evaluating a complex timeline
> consisting of many separte pieces. To make things work some
> (or a lot of) buffering and lookahead will be necessary.
>
> There are at least three distinct places where this can be
> done:
>
> 1. the file system(s) and kernel
> 2. any library used to acess audio files,
> 3. the application itself.
>
> Of these, only (1) will be aware of any hardware related
> issues, and only (3) will be aware of what is expected to
> happen in the (near) future. (2) sits somewhere between
> the two.

The questions you're asking hint at something that could be very
similar to a library or two I've been working on in my spare time.
I've been working on a service library for dispatching functions
between a realtime thread and a set of non-realtime threads, and
vice-versa, and intend to start work on another library that uses the
former to do realtime disk-streaming.

Care to share more details on what you're working on?

--
Devin Anderson
surfacepatterns (at) gmail (dot) com