Re: [LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

From: Filipe Coelho <falktx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 18:43:08 EET

On 01/21/2014 04:31 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 16:16 +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>

>> How do you backup an installed application?
> Using another Linux install (a live media would be ok too) I backup my
> complete Linux DAW.

hm, so you're saying users should boot a live media everytime they want
to compile some software?

>> For a new Linux user, I understand this is when they start thinking
>> about going back...
> Going back to where? Are you talking about users who first used Apple or
> Microsoft based systems?

Yes, Linux is still only 1-2% of global pc users.
It should be expected that most new Linux users come from other OSes.

> 2. Even if people come from e.g. Windows, why did they
> decide to switch, if they like it e.g. the Windows way?

Everyone will have different reasons.
Speaking for myself, I wanted to try something different and also stop
with the piracy.

> starting to clone e.g. Windows is the wrong way.

I believe this too. Each OS works in different ways.

My post is not about this though.
It's about new linux users are having a very hard time getting new
software to work for them.

> Subscribe to *buntu list, if somebody has got a problem

I still have issues with mailing lists...
I never liked them, and don't believe I ever will.

I might be wrong on this, but I believe most "non-techie" users have
never used mailing lists (or even IRC).
It was surely a surprise to me at first.