[LAD] Rate of change damping in digital mixer controls

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 29 2014 - 03:34:39 EET

Hi list,

It's been reported that rapidly tweaking a MIDI control
connected to an Ecasound volume effect causes a click. I
tried sending various volume change commands, and could hear
a click for even 3 dB steps,

If I understand correctly, this click is the consequence of
an unfiltered step in the waveform that carries a lot of
harmonics.

So I'm wondering how digital mixers and DAWs deal with this.
Do they provide rate-of-change damping just for pan and
volume faders, or perhaps some generalized rate damping on
all parameters?

Do special plugins provide this damping, or a filter
on the MIDI/OSC inputs?

Thanks for any enlightenment on this subject.

Regards,

Joel

--
Joel Roth