Re: [LAD] [ANN] GUI toolkit and 2 audio applications, also for Android

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 06 2014 - 00:34:01 EET

On Wednesday 05 February 2014 15:57:50 W.Boeke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is an announcement for a GUI toolkit, which works for Android tablets
> as well as for the Linux desktop. This means that all widgets are
> touch-friendly, such that values can be observed also when you put your
> thick fingers on the sensitive areas.
>
> The library is accompanied with 2 audio applications: a (more or less)
> classic synthesizer and a (not so classic) organ. Both are polyphonic. My
> intention was to create applications that you can use at home with a
> regular MIDI controller, and outdoors with an on-screen keyboard or with a
> mini MIDI controller.
>
> Android is traditionally plaged with a long audio latency, but the latest
> version (KitKat) is really good in this respect. Also the USB interface is
> fast. IMHO, these musical instrument applications are really playable now.
>
> Notice that you can build (if you want so) an application for Linux only, or
> for Android only. The source code as well as an introduction can be found
> at: http://members.chello.nl/w.boeke/ct-gui/index.html
>
> Comments are welcome.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing. The graphics are somewhat crude, but this
surely will be improved in future releases.

You forgot to include on both projects CT-synth and CT-farfisa the files
build.xml and AndroidManifest.xml, so it is not possible to build the apps
out of the box for Android. Nevertheless I've managed to test them on my
Nexus7. The latency is not bad at all, but it could be better. On this device,
I've never got better results with my own tests. The interesting logcat line
is:

I/TestNative( 769): java: low latency=false sr=44100 bs=512

This is after including in the app manifest an explicit request:
<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.audio.low_latency"
android:required="true" />

Regards,
Pedro