Re: [LAD] Drums - EDrums - Hydrogen

From: Sebastian Moors <mauser@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 23 2014 - 20:37:20 EET

Hi Aurélien,

Aurélien Leblond wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using Hydrogen for a few years now, both by programming
> drum patterns or playing live with an e-drums and there are few things
> I'm missing...
>
> I wouldn't mind having a look into coding them, but I'd like to get
> the feedback/comments/opinions/screams of despair from the community.
>

> HiHat & EDrums
>
> Hydrogen only deals with close/open for the hihat control. It should
> be easy enough to mark the instruments as being part of a hihat and
> provide for each hihat instruments a range to define which one is
> triggered. For example close from 0 to 10, half-open from 11 to 40,
> open from 41 to 127.
>
> EDrum sends a cc message for how close the hihat is closed.
>
> There is already a script to do something very similar
> (http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/node/2807) using mididings, but
> having it in Hydrogen would be more user friendly I guess?
This would be really handy. I'm one of the hydrogen devs and i had a
look into
this problem some years ago.. At that time i was experimenting with a
roland edrum
and ran into the same issue. But i switched back to accoustic drums and
got rid of that
problem the easy way :) What i was asking myself at that time: Is there
a standard way
of sending hihat pressure information?? IIRC the roland was sending
similar CC messages.

> EDrums & Cymbal choke
>
> I believe edrums are using aftertouch for that (to confirm) - sample
> could simply be muted?

No idea.. Never inspected the midi stream of my edrum when using chokes.
I think sending a "virtual" note-off could be better then to mute it
(then you don't
  have the trouble to unmute it afterwards).

> Multi-mics drum samples
>
> Drums recording often uses several mic placements and depending how
> they are mixed it changes the mood of the drums. For example mixing
> using overhead and direct samples.
> I have drum samples where:
> - the snare is composed of under, above and overhead takes
> - cymbals are direct and overhead takes
> - kick is front, back, inside
> - etc...
>
> Per instrument, we could have groups of samples:
> - Instrument would have one fader per group and one fader for the
> whole instrument
> - Each instrument group would have its own output
> - Each group would have its fader - if we have multiple instruments
> with the group "overhead", this fader can control the gain for the
> overall overhead
> - I don't know what to do with panner - would anybody have an opinion on that?
> - Trigger/velocity (programmed or played live) would trigger would
> trigger all necessary samples
Well, yes.. its a nice idea. This has been proposed quite often, but no
one really worked
out a complete concept or even wrote a patch. I think the first stage
would be to allow
more then one sample per layer and to define how to choose between those
layers (random,
in parallel (your approach) or with a user-defined script. I would
suggest to start with your first
two ideas, they would be a good start to get into hydrogen development,
if you're interested in
that.

Btw. if you want, you could create "enhancement" tickets on the hydrogen
issue tracker at github.

Best regards,
Sebastian