Re: [LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 01:20:50 EEST

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:13:06PM +0200, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>
> > Fons, you know what? the Faust zita-rev1 version (still old
> > one of course..) now even runs in the web, automagically compiled
> > in asm.js (http://asmjs.org) using latest faust2 git version
> > and running at acceptable speed in recent browsers like Firefox
> > or Chrome (still some issues here…) :
>
> And what's the point of running a concert hall reverb in a web
> browser ? Providing a new 'business model' for audio engineering ?

It is quite related to the future of the audio engineering business as
imagined by people inside it. What do do we mean by "the future"? Certainly
not "how everyone who does anything that might be called audio engineering
works", because demonstrably there will be some number of people whose
needs, experiences and preferences lead them to continue to work in ways
largely modelled around more traditional approaches and technology.

But in the sense that more and more audio engineering is going to

   a) have the requirement to be an experienced engineer removed
   b) disconnect itself from the requirement to be physically connected to
a powerful DSP engine
   c) utilize the same kinds of presentation metaphors and technologies as
have already impacted dozens of other computer-driven processes

then yes, this sort of thing is a part of the future. I don't like it very
much, but the reasons why this is happening are not really subject to the
veto of those who might oppose it.