Re: [LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: hermann meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 08:33:31 EEST

Am 01.07.2014 07:09, schrieb Stéphane Letz:
> Le 1 juil. 2014 à 05:56, hermann meyer <brummer-@web.de> a écrit :

>>> ++
>>>
>>> UIs are one thing (not without their own problems, but running remotely
>>> on pretty much anything is at least useful), but all this DSP in the
>>> browser (or Javascript, period) nonsense is just that. It's literally
>>> the least appropriate thing to be doing on that platform I can think of.
>>>
>>> One of the fun things you can do with compilers (like Faust) is output
>>> pretty much anything as your "machine code". What's fun, however, is
>>> not always sane...
>>>
>>> Native code aversion is a serious problem in the entire computing world,
>>> which continues to snowball because all the language/etc innovation gets
>>> directed at VMs for no particularly good reason (and/or you get
>>> half-baked amateurish garbage like Javascript/PHP from people who have
>>> no business inventing programming languages in the first place). I
>>> don't need a bloody virtual machine, I've got a real one, thanks.
>>>
>>> Javscript doesn't even have real numeric types or sane lexical scoping.
>>> The entire computing world is supposed to move to this joke, even for
>>> high performance and real-time tasks? Give me a break.
>>>
>>> </rant>
>>>
>> One way I could imagine to use this:
>> If you put "this" html site as example on your project site, so "users" could just test it, without download or install.
>> If they like it, they could download it for "real" work.
>>

> Or just drop the "code" link that is available in the upper part of he HTML page in the export tool of FaustLive. In a matter of minutes you can generate the *native* optimized tool you may want as a plug-in or standalone application. This is a new way to promote DSP code reuse we think interesting.
>
> Stéphane

Regarding FaustLive, do you know that we (guitarix project) working on a
analog circuit simulation toolkit, which will generate faust code from
gSchem ( http://www.geda-project.org/ ) schematics?
Imagine a electronic circuit designer could create a plug schematic and
"hear" direct what a change from 1k resistor to 2k resistor will sounds
like, if such a toolkit be integrated in FaustLive.

Faust rocks!°!