Re: [LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 12:52:42 EEST

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 08:09:22AM +0100, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 07:33:31AM +0200, hermann meyer wrote:
>
> > Regarding FaustLive, do you know that we (guitarix project) working
> > on a analog circuit simulation toolkit, which will generate faust
> > code from gSchem ( http://www.geda-project.org/ ) schematics?
> > Imagine a electronic circuit designer could create a plug schematic
> > and "hear" direct what a change from 1k resistor to 2k resistor will
> > sounds like, if such a toolkit be integrated in FaustLive.
> >
> > Faust rocks!<B0>!
>
> Okay, so you get to hear what your simulation sounds like. It won't
> sound even remotely like real hardware. Circuit simulation only
> tells you how your circuit behaves in a simulator - it does not in
> any way resemble real-life results.

Unless you run a full SPICE model, including all the imperfections
of all components - non-linearities, parasitic capacitance and
inductance, memory and thermal effects, etc. etc. And then

1. it isn't easy anymore,
2. it very probably won't run in real time.

And without all that, and idealised analog circuit is just another
format for some simple mathematical equations, a simple abstraction.
Engineers use it all the time to describe all sorts of systems that
are not electronic at all, in the same way they use mechanincal
abstractions such as mass/spring/damping systems. Idealised circuits
are just another notation for maths, an as such they provide nothing
new. They just translate into the standard filters etc. that DSP code
authors use all the time. It's an illusion to think that youd could
generate any 'magic' DSP code form them that can't be obtained in
the normal way. On the contrary, you're likely to get inferior quality
results as things such as quantisation and numerical stability are
blissfully ignored.

Ciao,

--
FA