Re: [LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: Neil C Smith <neilcsmith.net@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 14:35:02 EEST

On 1 July 2014 11:37, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 06:27:05PM -0400, David Robillard wrote:
>
>> Native code aversion is a serious problem in the entire computing world,
>> which continues to snowball because all the language/etc innovation gets
>> directed at VMs for no particularly good reason .... I
>> don't need a bloody virtual machine, I've got a real one, thanks.
>
> Couldnt agree more. It's all just creating extra layers on the onion,

This reminds me of a (robust! :-) ) discussion David and I had a few
years back. I'll preface this by saying, which is not really a secret
around here, that I'm a Java developer. Praxis LIVE is written in
Java for a very particular reason - the ability to rewrite code on the
fly, and have it JIT compiled. Development at the moment is very much
focused on the idea of a visual patcher where you can rewrite the code
of any component *as it runs*. This ability to live manipulate code,
either by hand or by meta-programming, would seem to open up a wide
range of interesting and creative possibilities - instant feedback as
a great learning and development tool. There's lots of interesting
stuff happening in this space at the moment - eg. Extempore
(https://github.com/digego/extempore)

I generally agree with scepticism around JavaScript for this (and to
an extent with the drive to make the browser an OS), but that's
primarily due to limitations of the language (types, threading, etc.)
than the idea of a VM in and of itself.

David, in the past you've professed to be pro-JIT and pro-GC but
anti-VM - I guess I'm still having difficulty understanding what that
position means -surely some level of machine abstraction is a
necessary intermediate stage here?

Best wishes,

Neil

--