Re: [LAD] Announcement: oschema, oscdoc

From: <tom@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 09 2014 - 16:22:01 EEST

Hi Mark

On Wed, July 9, 2014 04:40, Mark D. McCurry wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 06:48:33PM +0200, tom@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>
>> i would like to announce some tools around OSC.
>>
>> oschema: a format definition to describe OSC units
>> https://github.com/7890/oschema
>>

>> oscdoc: create HTML documentation from oschema instances
>> https://github.com/7890/oscdoc
>>

>> Basic idea:
>> -Having a standardized, machine-readable format to describe an OSC API
>> -Derive "stuff" from description, like documentation, code skeletons
>> etc. -Let programs use OSC API dynamically by looking at definition
>>

> Right now the example seems to be pretty small and it would be nicer to
> judge it based on a larger API.

true.. we have to start somewhere. It takes some time to have a couple of
good example definitions, and i'm sure it will reveal missing bits. I'm
interested to hear your experience.

> (enumerated paths being /foo/bar1/ /foo/bar2/ /foo/bar100/)
> There was some reference to patterns, but at first glance they didn't
> quite look applicable.

There is currently nothing foreseen to handle that kind of redundancy.
Still it's possible to describe such messages. To me it looks like a
/foo/bar i would be easier to handle. I wouldn't go so far and say that
kind of API (enumerated path') is just not well designed.

Cheers
Tom