Re: [LAD] computer keyboard control surface update

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 07 2014 - 21:43:39 EEST

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, Len Ovens wrote:
>
> I do have a question though about ardour
> control by midi. The Mackie IF says it sends
> control messages that are in the form num of
> ticks up or down. This means I should be able
> to have a key send ticks up and another ticks
> down, but this doesn't seem to work.
>

> It does work... but only into the the mackie midi in. It only seems
> to expect 0 to 100 ticks which is probably not enough for a fader
> anyway. This is probably due to physical limitations in the encoders,
> getting more than 96 or so ticks per full turn starts to get
>
> Ardour has an internal scaling factor for those ticks, or did at some
> point. The Mackie D8B mixer had similar issues with its scroll wheel. We
> seem to have removed it.

There seems to be some scaling for the encoders too, Sometimes one tick
moves one notch and sometimes two... probably to get 100 out of 96, which
makes sense(defaults to pan, I haven't tried other modes yet). I have not
played with the scroll as yet.

> correction. the scaling factor was ONLY for the scroll wheel. faders work fine
> for me on an SSL Nucleus usng Mackie Control, which I strongly recommend (Mackie
> Control (or the Nucleus if you want to pay for it :)

So far I have spent $3 on this surface :) I expect the key labels will
cost more than that though. Still, it is already very usable in the form
it sits. I think if I do 5 or 6 channel banks I will have as complete
channels as possible. If I just use the controller and make my own switch
panel, I could get the full 8 + master and transport. I am aiming for
half.. The encoders and "faders" will have their own HW.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net