[LAD] revisiting pulse and jackdbus

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 15 2014 - 05:04:10 EEST

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014, Max wrote:
>> Pulse on jack.
>
> Would you suggest that your method is better and should be the
> canonical way to do pulse on jack? If so, shall we write up an
> alternative WalkThrough on the jackoudio wiki that helps people
> setting that up?

Something more to add. If you are using a debian based distro (ubuntu for
example) the jackd executable needs to be chmod -x or you will find odd
things happen if you manage to crash jackdbus. Generally some well meaning
program will come along and start jackd making qjackctl of no use and
making module-jackdbus-detect unable to set up the pa-jack bridge. The
command killall -9 jackd needs to be run. I now concider this has rissen
above anoyance to bug. Jackd2 and jackdbus should be packaged separately.
If needed the jackdbus version can come with a script that has
jack_control's innards, but acts like jackd. (uses jackd's config file and
takes jackd's arguments on the CL... may as well give it jackd's name
too). For my use, all it would have to do is ignore the arguments and run
jack_control start which would restart with the parameters I chose before
or do nothing if it is already running.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net