Re: [LAD] [LAU] Ardour MIDI tracer

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 16 2014 - 19:09:58 EEST

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 09:30:51AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > All computers do that. Just put a DI-box with ground lift between your
> > audio interface and the speakers and the noise is gone.
> >
> > Dennis
>
> And get someone electrocuted. That doesn't happen on my watch because
> they'll never get it plugged in, I would not allow it. There are several
> ways to fix a noise inducing ground loop, but a ground lift adapter is not
> one of them.

A DI-box with ground lift does not interrupt safety ground.
It just ensures that there is no ground connection via the
audio path. Both items connected to it will (should) still
have their own safety ground.

Whether it will reduce interference from MIDI in a sound
card is questionable. MIDI is isolated anyway. If anything
of it leaks into the analog audio path that means the sound
card has a problem.

Ciao,

--
FA