Re: [LAD] [LAU] Ardour MIDI tracer

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 16 2014 - 23:28:07 EEST

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2014, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> The JACK MIDI API delivers and acccepts normalized MIDI data ONLY.
>>
>> No running status. No "clever" merging or filtering. Bytes in... bytes
>> out.
>>

> That makes perfect sense. That way the application designer can expect all
> MIDI events to be the same way. How about MIDI in from physical MIDI ports
> that has running status? Are those then converted to normalized events?

the bridge client/code that interacts with the physical port is expected to
normalize incoming messages that use running status. not doing so violates
the API contract.

> That does then ask the question if Ardour's midi mapping for control
> surfaces can accept multi-event commands.

ardour maps can be bound to arbitrary byte sequences but i am not convinced
they will work for multiple events. not something i've ever tried or
thought about.

> I can see that dealing with controller data has some way to go.

the problems with controllers come from the almost absurdly varied ways
that h/w manufacturers have chosen to use them.

> I would like to help, but am not a c++ programer. Not great at c for that
> matter. I can see that MIDI/OSC control is tied to the keyboard interface
> and if there is no keyboard shortcut for a function then MIDI cannot
> trigger it either.

not true. any action defined in Ardour can be bound to OSC. there is no
linkage between the keyboard shortcuts and OSC.